To London with Love

I’m sitting on the central line, speeding along to Euston.  And still remembering this afternoon. My feet dragging at the thought of leaving my friends in such a stunning Sunday afternoon. True I weighed down by my backpack but still there was an incredible weight holding me in the church lobby. Eventually we ambled outside. One friend joining for the walk and carrying my suitcase all the way down to the tram. Another joining along route, carrying four bananas. 

We just missed the tram. I could’ve made it but the thought of quick goodbyes seemed gross. So we waited the nine minutes to the next one. I did round of goodbyes, then Keziah jumped aboard. I was grateful for the company, but then Nat and Greg joined as well. They rode it to the end, ushered me inside and came as far as they were allowed before security. 

It’s an incredible feeling really. Being treated like family. An airport run, I’m quite sure, was on no one’s bucket list for the day but it completely made my day.

And that feeling carried with me, as I found out trains were cancelled, navigated buying the incorrect ticket, planning out routes to transfer trains and busses, and more on my way to Birmingham.

** continuing the week so y’all have an idea of what my work travel could look like:

Approximately 7 hours after the tram ride, I arrived at the restaurant for the evening. I was somewhat late, but grateful for some cold water and some hot food. Thankfully it was a smaller group at dinner, so it didn’t use up too much social energy. I got to bed, but it was a restless night of sleep with the warm air and squishy pillows.

The next morning I did a bit of work, before heading down for breakfast. I had quite a long breakfast as I met various members of our UK team and had a chance to catch up with them. After breakfast, I had just enough time to wrap-up a few things, change, and head over to the conference venue. I took about 20 minutes for myself, to swing by the Lego store and get a passport stamp, as well meander the cute streets rather than take the most direct route.

On the way, I ran into two more from FM, and we headed into the convention center to being our work. We manned our company stand, engaging strangers who walked by, until we headed out for dinner that night. The next two days were more of the same; long days on your feet, talking to strangers, trying to make sure to look extra pleasant when the camera crew stood nearby… little sleep due to the warm hotel rooms, and dinners socializing with my colleagues. The emotional energy toll is exhausting.

Finally, when the conference ended Wednesday afternoon, I took an Uber with a colleague to the train station, and bought a ticket London bound. From the main station, I took a few more steaming undergrounds to my stop, and walked to my hotel for the next 3 nights. London is expensive, so a windowless room it was in a Four Points Flex. It seemed a pity to waste the evening, so I took the underground to see Big Ben, walked along the bridge and Westminster Abbey, before heading home and grabbing some Indian takeout from a sketchy little kiosk on the way. The next morning, I braved the Elizabeth line all the way to Maidenhead, where I worked from that office for most of the day. Part of my time with our offices tis to speak to people, to find out their needs and priorities and inform them on how I can support. I was invited four times “for a coffee”, simply code for I need to talk to you Jen. A coffee, an iced tea, a pop, and another iced tea later, it was a productive day of speaking with my colleagues. I headed back to my hotel to drop my bags, before heading to Leadenhall Market to meet a few other colleagues for drinks, another code for hearing about the office politics and gossip and happenings. I wasn’t disappointed, as I heard much more than I had bargained for from the four guys present. The only problem with having a cider/beer with tall UK dudes is that they have little need for food… however one of my students who was part of the gang humored me with some late night empanadas before I headed home. The next morning, I grabbed my luggage and headed into our London office. We have some newer management there, and part of my priority was to tell them about me and my job, and how I can help them. They were gracious to give me the time I requested and then some, and it was a really productive morning. A group lunch on Petticoat Lane, and I walked to the underground to head to the airport.

***Keziah had asked about my return flight details, and I had a feeling she’d try to meet me. Sure enough, she texted that she would meet me, and that she was running late. It worked out, because my flight was also slightly delayed. I was quite tired, so decided I’d spring for the Uber home. I made it up the escalator, and was greeted by her. We began walking outside and she led me away from the buss, and towards the parking lot with a sly grin. Imagine my shock- she rented a car to take me home! It was a huge step for her for various reasons, but the thought and effort she put to come out on her afternoon off, meet me, and take me in the rented car, were truly special. It was the perfect end to an incredibly long and exhausting week, and the wonderful bookend to her kind airport drop-off. It’s truly wonderful to have caring friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky 13

Two Years

Cancerversary