FM Friends
I'm on a train, where historically I ponder and write.
And today I'm pondering the two men I met today in Belgium.
One, brand new to me in-person, the other a long-awaited reunion with an old
friend.
The first was Dirk. We've been trying to organize a time to
see his vast sprinkler collection, and today the stars finally aligned. I was
in awe of the time and care he has put into his collection. You could feel his
legacy and life work in his office and workshop as I scanned row after row of
shelves sprinklers, almost daring to breathe in a place this spectacular. It
felt almost holy to be there. A privilege and an honor for sure. I'm not sure
how many have had the opportunity to see this collection in-person, and I'm sure
there are fewer still that can appreciate the depth and care with which it has
been carefully cultivated over the years. He generously shared his memories and
sprinklers with me.
The second was Daniel. He picked me up from the train station
and begrudgingly drove me an hour south so I could save on the train time home.
I miss him. I miss the man who'd come tearing in to work every morning in his
undershirt, shirt on a hanger behind him and be buttoning it up while loudly
complaining about how crowded the pool was that moment. Who'd rock out on
Friday mornings and passionately teach our students. Who wasn’t afraid to call
me out on my bullshit or come over and kill a centipede.
There are some people who leave a permanent mark on your
life. Once you meet them, you know you’ll never be the same again. Daniel is
one of those people. Seeing his passion for teaching inspired me to care for my
students better. Seeing him fight for what he believed in, challenged me to
stand up for my charges, albeit if in a different manner than him. As much as
he grumbles and complains, he can also be the world’s best cheerleader. He
pushed me to this job, and supported mi the way. If a blog post sounded a bit
down, I could guarantee a call or lengthy text, until I told him they weren’t
posted in real time. Any missed call is met with concern if I’m ok, and a
message that takes unusually long for me to respond too is treated as a sign I’m
in trouble.
Work isn’t everything, and I’m learning more and more to lean
into the Europeanness of prioritizing my personal wellbeing. But my work has
brought me incredible people, who have my back and support me in all my endeavors,
and for that I couldn’t be more grateful for my job.
Comments
Post a Comment